|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||United States. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands.|
|Title:||Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands records|
|Extent:||0.5 cubic feet (1 box)|
The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen's Bureau, was a U.S. federal government agency established by the U.S. Department of War through the Freedmen's Bureau Bill on 3 March 1865. The Freedmen's Bureau became a key agency during Reconstruction assisting freedmen, ex-slaves, in the former Confederate states adjust to their conditions of freedom by providing food, housing, education, health care, and employment. This agency was operational from 1865 to 1872.
This collection contains photocopies of letters and lists from the Bureau of Refugee, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands' branch in Savannah, Georgia from 1865 to 1869. These records detail the efforts of this agency to assist the newly freed slaves throughout coastal Georgia including Chatham County, McIntosh County, Glynn County, Liberty County, Ossabaw Island, and St. Catherine's Island. The originals of these documents may be accessed at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.