Gainesville (Ga.) tornado damage postcards
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

Gainesville (Ga.) tornado damage postcards

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Title: Gainesville (Ga.) tornado damage postcards
Dates: 1936 April 6
Extent: 0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)
Identification: MS 2637

Biographical/Historical Note

Gainesville, in North Georgia, was established as Mule Camp Springs by settlers in the early 1800s. It is the county seat of Hall County.


Scope and Content Note

This collection contains ten 4x5" unaddressed photograph postcards with images of the damage from the tornado that struck Gainesville, Georgia on April 5th and 6th, 1936. The tornado touched down in the center of town, destroying buildings and causing a fire in the collapsed Cooper Pants factory. Children sheltered in a downtown department store died when the building collapsed. Over 200 people died.

Cleanup and rebuilding efforts began immediately. Franklin Delano Roosevelt stopped in Gainesville a few days after the storm and spoke; money from the federal government soon followed in support of the rebuild.


Index Terms

Cooper Pants Factory (Gainesville, Ga.).
Fire.
Gainesville (Ga.)
Lost architecture--Georgia--Gainesville.
Natural disasters.
Photographic postcards.
Tornadoes.

Administrative Information

Processing Information

This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.