|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah Automobile Club (Ga.).|
|Title:||Savannah Automobile Club guidebook, Savannah to Atlanta route|
|Extent:||(1 folder) 0.05 cubic feet|
|Collection materials are in English.|
The Savannah Automobile Club was founded by Frank C. Battery in 1904. It hosted a number of automobile races between 1908 and 1911; these were known as the "Great Savannah Races."
This collection consists of a 4.5 inch x 7.5 inch leather booklet containing 55 cloth-mounted photographs.This guidebook contains 51 photographs giving visual information about intersections or local landmarks, as well as maps of Sandersville, Milledgeville, Eatonton, and Madison, Georgia. The booklet served as a photographic map for automobile travelers going to Atlanta from Savannah. Until the 1930s, signposts, route names, and other road markers were very uncommon, particularly in rural areas. Each photograph, numbered sequentially, states the mileage from Savannah to that point, gives instructions to either drive straight or turn, and may have other information such as a road or landmark name or more detailed directions. These photographs document the country between Savannah and Atlanta, including vernacular architecture along the way.
[item identification], Savannah Automobile Club guidebook, Savannah to Atlanta, circa 1909, MS 2552, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Norma and Robert Germann, 2013.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.