|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Title:||Photograph of Bonaventure Cemetery|
|Extent:||0.25 cubic feet (1 oversize folder)|
The Bonaventure plantation tract along the St. Augustine Creek was purchased from Commodore Josiah Tattnall by Peter Wiltberger in 1847. Wiltberger began developing the property as the Evergreen Cemetery of Bonaventure and it was opened for burials in 1850. Peter Wiltberger's son, William H. Wiltberger, was involved with the operation of the cemetery and following his father's death he formed the Evergreen Cemetery Company of Bonaventure. Wiltberger sold the property to stockholders of the company in 1869. The company regulated the sale of lots and perpetual care. From 1880 until its sale in 1907, John H. Estill served as president of the company. The cemetery was purchased by the City of Savannah in 1907 and is still in operation as Bonaventure Cemetery.
This collection contains one 24.25x20 inch photograph of Bonaventure Cemetery which has been mounted on a thin piece of cardboard.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.