|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Title:||Collection of Savannah (Ga.) and Washington, D.C. photographs and photograph reproductions|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Savannah is the largest city in, and the county seat of, Chatham County, in state of Georgia. The city of Savannah was established in 1733 and was the colonial capital of the Province of Georgia and later the first state capital of Georgia.
The United States Capitol began construction in 1793 and finished construction in 1807. During the War of 1812 it was partially razed by the British Army. Reconstruction began in 1815 and was finished in 1819. Later the Capitol was expanded in the 1850s. The Capitol is the meeting place of the United States Congress and the legislature of the Federal government of the United States of America. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
This collection contains 6 13x10 inch reproductions of black and white photographs and 3 10x7.5 glossy black and white prints. The reproductions depict 2 large vessels on the Savannah River, Danaholm and William M. Kamaka; a Savannah River scene with sailboats; an elevated view of businesses on the Savannah River; and 2 copies of a store interior with 5 people. The glossies depict the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.; a large number of unnamed people gathered around a long table covered with food; and a collapsing Greek-revival house. Some or all may have belonged to Charles Mills, a Georgian author. There are no dates.
This collection was included in a donation to the Georgia Historical Society from Armstrong Atlantic State University. At the time of processing no information was available on the collection's custodial history or provenance prior to its donation to GHS.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.