|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Title:||Savannah (Ga.) and Bluffton (S.C.) black and white photographic negatives and proofs|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Savannah is the largest city in, and the county seat of, Chatham County, in state of Georgia. The city of Savannah was established in 1733 and was the colonial capital of the Province of Georgia and later the first state capital of Georgia.
Bluffton, South Carolina's first homes were constructed during the early 1800s by area plantation owners seeking the high ground and cool river breezes as an escape from the unhealthy conditions present on Lowcountry rice and cotton plantations. Easy access by water provided more incentive for expansion and the many tidal coves afforded excellent locations for residences. The first streets were formally laid out during the mid-1800s and the name of Bluffton decided upon during the same period.
This collection contains 82 photograph negatives and 7 proofs. Subjects in Savannah, GA include Armstrong Atlantic State University's Alpha Tau Beta Sorority (including 7 proofs); Christ Church, 1953; the Lucas Theatre; the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist; the Kaybee store; the intersection of Broughton and Abercorn streets; Eagle Sales and Service (518 West Henry street); Savannah Air Service hanger, 1958; Springfield Dairy; Urban Renewal Development Old Houses Project 1 and 2, 1958; Spinnet piano in the home of Mrs. Barrett at 421 East Charlton street; Historic Savannah, 1964; a baby at 121 East Henry street, 1947; the Shearhouse grave; Martin's Dairy; Interiors of Colonial Stores at Bull and Henry streets, 1963; Douglas Duncan; interiors of Industrial Savings Bank, 1958; Bethesda; Chatham Educational Association, 1961; Crawford and Company, 1961. The negatives from Bluffton, SC depict priests and parishioners at the Episcopal Church. Some of the negatives and proofs may have belonged to Charles Mills, a Georgian author.
This collection was included in a donation to the Georgia Historical Society from Armstrong Atlantic State University. At the time of processing no information was available on the collection's custodial history or provenance prior to its donation to GHS.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.