|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Chatham County Jail (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Chatham County Jail records|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (3 folders)|
The Chatham County Jail was commissioned in 1791 by the Mayor and Alderman of the city of Savannah, Georgia. The first Chatham County Jail was built in 1801 and was located in LaFayette Ward in Savannah. In 1846, a new jail was erected between Whitaker and Barnard Streets and remained there until 1888 when the jail moved to Habersham Street. In 1978, the jail was again moved, this time to Montgomery Street next to the Chatham County Judicial Complex.
This collection contains inmate discharge papers, commitment papers and a warrant for witness testimony, all from Chatham County, Georgia in 1895. Discharge papers list the date, inmate name, offence and are signed by either Justice of the Peace Thomas J. Sheftall or Ex-Officio Justice of the Peace Waring Russell, Jr. Commitment papers list the date, inmate name, offense and are signed by either Justice of the Peace Thomas J. Sheftall or Ex-Officio Justice of the Peace Waring Russell, Jr. The warrant for witness testimony lists the witness's name, offense and date, and is signed by Justice of the Peace Thomas J. Sheftall.
This collection is arranged into3 folders:
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.