|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Central of Georgia Railway.|
|Title:||Central of Georgia Tracks Diagrams|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 oversize folder)|
The Central of Georgia Railway Company was incorporated on October 7, 1895. This incorporation was a result of the Central Railroad and Banking Company's failure to meet its obligations with its businesses, forcing it into receivership. On October 31, 1895, the Central of Georgia Railway Company took control of the assets of the Central Railroad and Banking Company. The following companies were merged into the new Central of Georgia Railway Company: Central Railroad and Banking Company, Savannah and Western Railroad, Savannah and Atlantic Railroad, Macon and Northern Railway, Mobile and Girard Railroad, and the Montgomery and Eufaula Railway. Over the next several years, the Central of Georgia began to add new track mileage to its territory. In 1896, the Central absorbed the Middle Georgia and Atlantic Railway; in 1901, it absorbed the Dover and Statesboro Railroad and the Burton and Pineora Railway; and in 1904, the Central absorbed the Chattahoochee and Gulf Railroad. In 1907, Edward H. Harriman, an investment banker and railroad magnet, took control of the Central of Georgia Railway Company. Harriman, through his control of the Central and other railroads, opened up a new competitive route from the Midwest to Florida. Although this new gateway was lucrative, Harriman sold his interest in the Central to the Illinois Central Railroad in 1909. The Illinois Central remained in control of the company until the Great Depression of the 1930s. The Central began to reflect growing problems as the effects of the stock market crash of 1929 rippled through the nation. On December 20, 1932, the Central of Georgia was forced into receivership. In 1940, the receivership was replaced with a trusteeship that lasted until 1948, when the Company was reorganized, allowing its assets to be released by the courts. After exiting the trusteeship, the Central appeared to be in good condition. World War II brought an unprecedented amount of business to the Company that allowed it to catch up on deferred maintenance and to buy new equipment. During the next few years, the Central purchased the Augusta and Savannah and South Western Railroads. In 1951, after the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) gave its permission, the Central purchased the Savannah and Atlanta Railway. This purchase also gave the Central control of the Port Wentworth Corporation. The newly reorganized and prosperous Central of Georgia Railway began to find itself the candidate for mergers. In 1956, the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad attempted to purchase controlling interest in the Company, but their bid was disapproved by the ICC. Seven years later, the ICC approved the plan of the Southern Railway System to purchase the Central. On June 17, 1963, the Central officially became a subsidiary line of the Southern Railway. On July 1, 1971, the Southern Railway formed a new company called the Central of Georgia Railroad Company. This new company consisted of the Central of Georgia Railway Company, the Georgia and Florida Railway Company, the Savannah and Atlanta Railway Company, and the Wrightsville and Tennille Railroad Company. The Southern Railway and the new Central of Georgia Railroad Company eventually came under the control of the Norfolk Southern Corporation.
This collection contains two construction diagrams of railroad tracks in Chatham County belonging to the Central Railroad and Banking Company, which was later incorporated as Central of Georgia Railway. One diagram shows tracks near Louisville Road in the area of Pooler, Georgia. The tracks were built on land belonging to Central of Georgia as well as land purchased from Ebenezer Jenckes, John P. Williamson and Captain R.W. Pooler. The diagram was drawin by William Hughes, C.S. of Liberty County, Georgia. The other diagram has no geographically identifying marks. The diagrams were purchased by GHS in 1954.
These items were removed from the GHS map collection (1361-MP) during a 2009-2011 Institute for Museum and Library Services grant project and cataloged as an archival collection. The items are numbered 38, which corresponds to their original position in the GHS map collection.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.