|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Title:||Colonial Park Cemetery archaeological dig photographs and artifact list|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Colonial Park Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia was originally named Christ Church Parish Cemetery; it was familiarly known as the South Broad Street (now Oglethorpe Ave.) Cemetery. It was the first public burial ground in Savannah, and was closed to burials in 1853. The Wardens and Vestry of Christ Church claimed part of the cemetery. After some litigation the title was vested in the City of Savannah by an Act of the Legislature in 1895, stipulating that the City was to preserve and perpetuate it as a public park.
This collection contains photographs and slides from an archaeological dig performed at Colonial Park Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia in 1957. Bone fragments and hair were removed from the cemetery to be studied by the State Archaeologist of Georgia, Lewis H. Larson. Also included is a list describing the artifacts studied.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.