|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Independent Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Independent Presbyterian Church photograph|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 oversize folder)|
The formation of the Independent Presbyterian Church dates from 3 June 1755, when forty-three Georgia freeholders, members of the Church of Scotland, petitioned the Royal Council in Savannah, Georgia "for a grant of land to be used as the site of a church meeting house..." That land grant of lot K in Decker Ward was made by King George II in January of 1756.
The church, often called only the Presbyterian Church in its early years, was the only Presbyterian Church in Savannah for 72 years. It was independent of any official affiliation with other religious groups and was not subject to the jurisdiction of any other ecclesiastical court than the Parochial Presbytery, or Session. The doctrine of the church was Calvinism, as embodied in the Westminster Confession of Faith of the Church of Scotland.
The Independent Presbyterian Church of Savannah was incorporated 8 December 1806 (amended 27 November 1807). The officers of the church are the Pastor(s), the Ruling Elders, and the Deacons, with the Pastor(s) and the Bench of Elders (Presbyters) making up the Session. These officers are elected by ballot by communicants of the church. The Session serves as the overseer of the spiritual affairs of the church, such as admitting and dismissing members, directing the order of worship, administering communion, management of the pledges and collections taken up during services, and the selection of the organist and choir. The Trustees, who were initially appointed in the charter of 1806, are composed of communicants who are elected annually to oversee the secular affairs of the church, acting as agents and representatives of the church in the administration of certain church properties and funds and other business transactions.
John Joachim Zubly, D.D. was the first minister of the first church. This building, which was destroyed by fire in 1796, was known as the "Brick Church." The congregation then moved to a new church on York and President Streets. The first building on the church's present site, at Bull St. and Oglethorpe Ave. (formerly South Broad St.), was dedicated in 1819 under the ministry of Dr. Henry Kollock. It was designed by John Holden Greene in the Federal style. This building was also destroyed by fire, in 1889. However, it was rebuilt according to Greene's plans and dedicated in 1891.
This collection contains an oversize photograph of the Independent Presbyterian Church in Savannah, Georgia from March 1868 while it was being repaired and painted.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.