|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Hotel DeSoto (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Hotel DeSoto photographs and menus|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Hotel DeSoto was designed by Boston, Massachusetts architect, William Preston in Savannah, Georgia. The six story hotel with three hundred guest rooms and 8,900 feet of verandas first opened its doors to guests on 31 December 1890. The hotel soon become one of the country's finest hotels and was often referred to as the "Dowager Empress of the South" and "Savannah's Grand Hotel." By 1965, the hotel could no longer compete against the growing presence of motels and hotels with more modern amenities and was demolished in January 1966. The hotel was replaced by the present day DeSoto Hilton Hotel in 1968.
This collection contains photographs of guests and two menus from the Hotel Desoto in Savannah, Georgia in 1941.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.