|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Wilson, William E., -1905.|
|Title:||Ebenezer (Ga.) photographs|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Ebenezer, Georgia was established in 1734 in Effingham County, Georgia. It was later incorporated into Rincon, Georgia.
William E. Wilson (ca. 1853-1905) was born in London, England. He was the son of artist and photographer James T. Wilson. William, at the age of two, moved with his parents to Charleston, South Carolina. Soon thereafter they moved to New York and later to Mobile, Alabama. William married Ellen Alice Brill in New York City around 1881. They had three sons, William T., Richard E., and Earnest T. (all born in Savannah, Georgia). Like his father, William Wilson became a photographer. He and Ellen moved to Savannah, Georgia, in 1882. By 1884 Wilson had opened his own studio at 60 Bull Street and by the following year moved the business and his home to a building at 25 Drayton Street. William made his living chiefly as a portrait photographer but also worked as a landscape photographer. By 1894, Wilson had returned to Mobile, where he resided until his death on October 23, 1905.
This collection contains two photographs of Ebenezer, Georgia from around 1882 to 1894 taken by William E. Wilson, landscape photographer of Savannah, Georgia. One photograph is of the Ebenezer Church and the second is of the Ebenezer grounds.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.