|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Trust Company Banks in Georgia.|
|Title:||Germania Savings Bank ledgers, stock certificates, and check|
|Extent:||0.8 cubic feet (2 volumes, 1 folder)|
The Germania Savings Bank was incorporated on September 15, 1889 and received its charter on October 18, 1889. The bank was founded by Captain Henry Blun, Sr.; George W. Owens; J. Paulsen; Gustave Fox; R. Pechmann; H. Busse; J.C. Klein; and G.M. Ryals. The bank opened for business on October 27, 1889 at the northwest corner of Bryan and Abercorn Streets. Under the management of its president, Capt. Henry Blun, Sr., the bank prospered and in 1902 moved to the northeast corner of Bryan and Drayton streets.
In 1900 the Germania Bank bought out and merged with the private banking house of Hull and Lathrop. On May 21, 1903, on his 70th birthday, Captain Blun laid the first marble block in the construction of the eight story Germania Bank Building on April 26, 1904, the bank moved into its own quarters in Savannah's first multi-storied office building.
In 1917, for patriotic reasons during World War I, the name of the bank was changed from the Germania Bank to the Liberty Bank and Trust Company of Savannah. After a series of name and operational changes, the bank is currently known as Trust Company Bank of Georgia.
This collection consists of two ledgers, a bound series of stock certificate transactions, and a check to the Germania Bank. The first ledger, 1891-1893, records stock transactions and arranged alphabetically by stockholder name. The second ledger, 1906, records transactions with other financial institutions. Also included are a bound records of stock transfer numbers and stock certificates, and a check to the Germania Bank form the Georgia State Building and Loan Association for $498.12.
[item identification], Germania Savings Bank ledgers, stock certificates, and check, MS 2050, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. Ollie M. Dunn, 1981.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|This ledger records stock transactions and is arranged alphabetically by stockholder name.|
|This ledger records transactions with other financial institutions. Indexed.|
|1||1||Stock transfers, November 9, 1894-April 27, 1895|
|A bound stub-type record of stock transfer number 721-749. Stock certificates for number 724-749 are attached.|
|1||2||Georgia State Building and Loan Association, April 24, 1900|
|Check made out to the Germania Bank for $498.12.|