|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah (Ga.)|
|Title:||Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah (Ga.) scrapbooks, photographs, and clippings|
|Extent:||1.15 cubic feet (7 volumes, 6 folders)|
The Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah was organized in 1940 at the outbreak of World War II to provide services and entertainment to the men at training camps in the coastal area. Its board members were prominent citizens of Savannah appointed by the mayor, and the SSS was funded by local citizens and businesses and staffed by volunteers. The Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah operated from 1940 until 1946. The organization was inactive from 1946 until December 1950 when it resumed on a temporary basis. In February, 1951, the SSSS because the 29th unit of the United Community Services, and it merged with the United Services Organization (USO) in July, 1951. The USO merger provided increased support as well as federal funding.
The organization provided activities for the soldiers stationed at area installations, as well as for visiting Allied and U.S. military personnel. The Savannah Volunteer Guards lent their building, 340-344 Bull Street, for formal and informal dances, coffees, art classes, dance lessons, sleeping accommodations, and food services. The SSSS later provided sightseeing tours and accommodations, in local homes, for servicemen and their spouses.
This collection consists of six scrapbooks covering the years 1951 through 1959 and one photograph album. There are also six folders of loose clippings, dated 1951-1963, and one folder of photographs.
Material was acquired from the creating organization.
[item identification], Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah (Ga.) scrapbooks, photographs, and clippings, MS 2029, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of the Soldiers' Social Service of Savannah, 1979.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Scrapbook, December 1950-December 1952|
|2||Scrapbook, January 1951-April 1952|
|3||Photograph album, 1951|
|4||Scrapbook, November 1951-April 1953|
|5||Scrapbook, April 1953-July 1954|
|6||Scrapbook, November 1955-September 1957|
|7||Scrapbook, December 1957-August 1959|