|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Pape School (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Pape School records|
|Extent:||11.0 cubic feet (11 boxes)|
The Pape School opened by Nina Pape in October of 1900 with thirty-five pupils and seven teachers. After five years, the Pape School combined with the Haskell School (a successor to the Hartridge School), taking the name of Haskell-Pape. In 1908, Miss Haskell married, and the school again became the Pape School. It was the first school in Savannah, Georgia, to have a kindergarten in connection with its school (1908) and the first school in Georgia to have a Parent-Teacher Association (1909). The school consisted of kindergarten and twelve grades; it was originally a girls' school, but later became co-educational. After Nina Pape's death in 1945, the school was conducted by her niece, Florence Crane Novell Schwalbe, who served as principal and president. The school operated until 1956, when it ceased to exist.
This collection contains records from the Pape School from 1910 to 1955 while it was in operation in Savannah, Georgia. This collection is comprised of student records from the school which includes their grades, teacher notes, placement tests, and exams. Also included are photographs, correspondence, alumni lists, certificates of accreditation, and teacher reports, and administrative and financial reports regarding the daily operation of the school.
This collection is arranged into 11 boxes:
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.