|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia Ports Authority.|
|Title:||Georgia Ports Authority records|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Georgia Ports Authority was established in 1945 by the Georgia Legislature in response to the post World War II economic boom. The Garden City Terminal (located west of Savannah, Georgia) was formerly a wharf for cotton barges and the United States Army Quartermaster Depot. Governor Herman Talmadge acquired the land in 1948 for $808,100 and construction began in 1950. The $15,000,000 port opened in 1953 with Frank O. Wahlstrom as president of the Savannah Port Authority. At present, the Georgia Ports Authority is a quasi-state agency run by a governor-appointed board and executive director. Its mission is to "develop, maintain, and operate ocean and inland river ports within Georgia; foster international trade and new industry for state and local communities; promote Georgia's agricultural, industrial, and natural resources; and maintain the natural quality of the environment."
This collection contains records from the Georgia Ports Authority from 1950 to 2000. Included is a chronological history of the Georgia Ports Authority from 1733 to 2000, photographs from the 1950s, and seven issues of Georgia Anchorage, which is the official publication of the Georgia Ports Authority. The photographs in this collection are of the ports along the Savannah River and show various vessels, cargo, and men working.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.