|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia Salzburger Society.|
|Title:||Georgia Salzburger Society records|
|Extent:||0.25 cubic feet (3 folders)|
The Georgia Salzburger Society was established in 1925 as an independently operating genealogical and archaeological organization. The Society was formed to honor and preserve the history and traditions of the early Salzburger settlers. The first Salzburgers landed in Savannah, Georgia on 12 March 1734 to escape religious persecution in the native country of Salzburg, presently known as Austria. Since their immigration to Georgia, the Salzburgers and their descendants have played important roles in the history of Georgia and the United States, distinguishing themselves through their service and contributions to the economic, social, civic, religious, and political life of this country.
This collection contains newsletters, correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings regarding the Georgia Salzburger Society from 1992 to 1997. Majority of these materials refer to the dedication of both the monument commemorating the 260th anniversary of the Salzburgers in America in 1994 and the dedication of the Salzburger Park in 1996, located between the Abercorn Street and Lincoln Street ramps on Bay Street.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.