|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah Bank and Trust Company (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Savannah Bank and Trust Company records|
|Extent:||2.5 cubic feet (4 boxes)|
The Savannah Bank and Trust Company was established in Savannah, Georgia on 1 July 1869 after several banks failed as a result of the Civil War (1861-1865). It first occupied a building on the southwest corner of Bay and Drayton Streets in Savannah, until a new building was built in 1912. The new Savannah Bank and Trust Company building was located on the corner of Bryan and Bull streets and was one of the earliest skyscrapers in Savannah.
In January 1950, the Savannah Bank and Trust Company completed a merger with the Citizens Bank and Trust Company. The Citizens Bank and Trust Company was established in 1906 and was located on Bay and Bull Streets in Savannah. The merger of these two successful financial institutions made Savannah Bank and Trust Company a powerful banking house in Savannah.
On 17 February 1987, the Savannah Bank and Trust Company changed its name to First Union after their parent company, First Railroad and Banking Company, merged with First Union Corporation. By this time, the bank had extended their banking services throughout Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
This collection contains correspondence, photographs, stock certificates, microfilms with board minutes, artifacts, and other miscellaneous records from the Savannah Bank and Trust Company in Savannah, Georgia from 1869 to 1982. Included within this collection are materials regarding the bank's merger with the Citizens Bank and Trust Company of Savannah in January 1950.
This collection is arranged into 4 boxes:
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.