|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Chatham County Jail (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Chatham County Jail prisoner volumes|
|Extent:||1.0 cubic feet (2 volumes)|
The Chatham County Jail was commissioned in 1791 by the Mayor and Alderman of the city of Savannah, Georgia. The first Chatham County Jail was built in 1801 and was located in LaFayette Ward in Savannah. In 1846, a new jail was erected between Whitaker and Barnard Streets and remained there until 1888 when the jail moved to Habersham Street. In 1978, the jail was again moved, this time to Montgomery Street next to the Chatham County Judicial Complex.
This collection contains records of the prisoners confined in the Chatham County Jail in Savannah, Georgia from 1884 to 1891. These records list the names of the prisoners, the dates of their confinement and discharge, their offense and term of sentence, whether the prisoner was sent to the penitentiary or the chain gang, and the person responsible for their committal and discharge.
This collection is arranged into 2 volumes:
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.