|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Edmondson, Stephen W.|
|Title:||Stephen William Bourquin family genealogy materials and cased photograph|
|Extent:||0.15 cubic feet (2 folders, 1 envelope)|
Stephen William Bourquin was born on 21 February 1828 in Chatham County, Georgia, to Edward Josiah Bourquin and Mary Clancy Bourquin. Several of Bourquin's siblings died in childhood from epidemic diseases and his brother Edward died in 1848 leaving a wife and children. By 1850, the census shows only Henry A Bourquin and Stephen W. Bourquin as the surviving children.
Bourquin graduated from Savannah Medical College in 1859 and joined the 25th Georgia Infantry, Company H (Telfair Irish Grays) on 2 August 1861. He served as a Lieutenant of the company as was stationed at Camp Mercer on Tybee Island, Camp Young, and Causton Bluff near Savannah. He resigned his commission on 22 July 1863 after becoming ill from a chronic intestinal infection.
He married Frances Louisa Pace on 31 May 1869 when he was 41. In 1870, he moved with his wife and son, Edward, to Brooks County, Georgia, where he practiced medicine and farmed until his death on 12 April 1902
Excerpted from a biography of Dr. Stephen William Bourquin by Stephen W. Edmondson, M.D. which is included in this collection.
This collection contains one cased photograph of Dr. Stephen William Bourquin (1828-1902) and an enhanced high-quality print of the cased photograph. Other photographs included a print of a David Francis Bourquin (d. 1824) portrait and images of Holliday/Halliday gravestones. Also included is a biography on Stephen William Bourquin and a Bourquin family genealogy. Both documents were authored by the collection donor, Stephen W. Edmondson.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.