|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Title:||Andersonville Prison photographs|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Andersonville Prison, officially known as Camp Sumter, was one of the largest Confederate military prisons established during the Civil War. Located in Andersonville, Georgia, the prison was in existence for 14 months, from February 1864 to April 1865, and housed over 45,000 Union soldiers. Of these soldiers, almost 13,000 died from disease, poor sanitation, malnutrition, abuse, overcrowding, and exposure to the elements. The largest number held in the 26.5 acre stockade at any one time was more than 32,000, during August of 1864. The site of the prison is now the Andersonville National Historic Site.
This collection consists of two, post Civil War, albumen photographs of Andersonville Prison. The images are 5 x 5 inches and depict a civilian and two army officers examining landmarks at the overgrown site. The following is inscribed on the photographs: "Star Fort, Andersonville Prison, Ga." and "Creek, - East Wall - Andersonville Prison, Ga." There are print imperfections from the glare on the original negatives. The photographs are undated, but the military men are wearing uniforms that were introduced in 1895.
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.
|Andersonville Prison photographs, circa 1900 View online.|