|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Pulaski House (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Pulaski House menu and unidentified letter|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Pulaski House was built as a hotel by Captain Peter Wiltberger around 1837 and was located in the northwest corner of Johnson Square in Savannah, Georgia at the intersection of Bull and Bryan streets. In 1874, the hotel was owned by the son of Peter Wiltberger, William H. Wiltberger, and under the proprietorship of Samuel N. Papot who had leased the hotel in 1872. Passing through a number of owners, Pulaski House continued to operate as a hotel for over a century, finally closing in 1948. The Pulaski House building was demolished in 1956.
The hotel, especially under the ownership of the Wiltberger family, housed a number of prominent guests throughout the 19th Century. It served as a popular location for social and civic events and its restaurant was acclaimed for its wine cellars and fine cuisine.
The author of the handwritten letter on the cover of the menu is unidentified, but likely was a guest of the hotel.
The Pulaski House menu is a printed dinner menu and wine list for the hotel dated April 2, 1874. The front page of the menu includes an image and street view of the hotel. The menu was printed by Geo. N. Nichols, in Savannah, Georgia, and includes a schedule of arrivals and departures of trains and boats.
Also included on the menu is a handwritten letter on the front page written by an unidentified author from Charleston, South Carolina. The author of the letter was likely a guest of the hotel.
[item identification], Pulaski House menu and unidentified letter, MS 1723, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and as the owner of copyright in items created by the donor. Although copyright was transferred by the donor, copyright in some items in the collection may still be held by their respective creator(s). For further information contact the Division of Library and Archives.
|1||Pulaski House menu and letter, 1874 April 2 View online.|
|Online Inventory Contains Digitized Items|