|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah Automobile Club (Ga.)|
|Title:||Savannah Automobile Club guidebook and photograph|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Savannah Automobile Club was founded by Frank C. Battery in 1904. It hosted a number of automobile races between 1908 and 1911; these were known as the "Great Savannah Races."
This collection consists of one loose photograph and a 32-page booklet of photographs entitled "Official Route of the Savannah Automobile Club: Savannah, Ga. to Jacksonville, Fla." The loose photograph appears to be the judges' stand or viewing area of the Savannah automobile races (1908-1911).
The booklet served as a photographic map for automobile travelers going to Jacksonville from Savannah. Until the 1930s, signposts, route names, and other road markers were very uncommon, particularly in rural areas. Therefore, local or state automobile associations published map books of official routes; sometimes these would also include lists of garages, automobile laws, etc.
This particular guidebook uses only photographs to convey the driving directions from Savannah to Jacksonville via Ogeechee Road (US 17) through Darien and Brunswick; there are no maps. The photographs give visual information about intersections or local landmarks. Each photograph, numbered sequentially, states the mileage from Savannah to that point, gives instructions to either drive straight or turn, and may have other information such as a road or landmark name or more detailed directions.
These photographs document the country between Savannah and Jacksonville, including the Midway Church, Brunswick's Oglethorpe Hotel, and a few houses along the way.
[Item identification], Savannah Automobile Club guidebook and photograph, MS 1708, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Harvey Granger, Jr., 2003.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Item 1: “Official Route of the Savannah Automobile Club: Savannah, Ga. to Jacksonville, Fla.”|
|1||Item 2: Photograph: judges’ stand/viewing area of Savannah automobile races|