|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Comstock, George W., 1915-2007.|
|Title:||George W. Comstock scrapbook of Georgia county courthouses|
|Extent:||0.25 cubic feet (1 box)|
George W. Comstock (1915-2007), a public health practitioner, is considered one of the foremost experts on tuberculosis. Comstock was born and raised in Niagara Falls, New York. After graduating from Harvard University Medical School in 1941 with his M.D., Comstock interned with the U.S. Public Health Service. His first assignment was sea duty in the Atlantic, after which he was assigned to the newly formed tuberculosis control division in Columbus, Georgia. Comstock oversaw tuberculosis vaccination trials in Columbus and Muscogee County, Georgia from 1946-1955. In the late 1950s, he studied tuberculosis rates and began tuberculosis prevention programs in Alaska.
In 1962, Dr. Comstock was named director of the Johns Hopkins Training Center for Public Health Research in Hagerstown, Maryland. He served as director until retiring in June 2003. That same year, the center was renamed in his honor: George W. Comstock Center for Public Health Research and Prevention. Dr. Comstock was a prolific author and, in addition to his work with tuberculosis, was a well-respected researcher in the fields of cancer and heart disease. He was Professor Emeritus of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of American Journal of Epidemiology, and Director Emeritus of the George W. Comstock Center for Public Health Research and Prevention.
This collection consists of a scrapbook of Georgia courthouses contains photographs taken by Dr. George W. Comstock while he was assigned to Columbus, Georgia by the U.S. Public Health Service. The scrapbook contains mostly photographs of courthouses; however there are some newspaper clippings as well.
There is at least one photograph of each county courthouse in Georgia. There are several photos of historical markers found on courthouse grounds. Most photos are black and white although a few are in color. Pasted on the inside front cover is a county map of Georgia. This map serves as an index to the scrapbook, with the corresponding scrapbook page number written in each county.
The photographs within the scrapbook are organized by the order visited, therefore the photos are generally grouped by location or region. Dr. Comstock made handwritten notations recording the county and county seat, the date of the photograph, and identifying family or friends who appear in the photo. A few notations provide information about the courthouse such as the construction date or architect.
There is also one folder of loose materials including a postcard, photograph, and clippings.
A database, with an entry for each scrapbook item, was created. The following inventory is a listing of items in alphabetical order by county name. The inventory includes the county and city name, the photograph date, scrapbook page number and the item's position on the page, a transcription of the notations made by Dr. Comstock, and notes made by the collection processor. If the position of an item is listed as "loose," it is located in the folder.
Material was acquired from creator.
[item identification], George W. Comstock scrapbook of Georgia county courthouses, MS 1707, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Margaret E. and George W. Comstock, 1987.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.