|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (2 oversize folders)|
In May 1776, the Second Continental Congress adopted a resolution authorizing the colonies to establish state constitutions. That same year, the Georgia Trustees responded by assembling the Provincial Congress in Savannah, Georgia, to create the state's first constitution. A final draft of the constitution was unanimously approved by the congress on February 5, 1777. The 1777 constitution remained in effect for twelve years, until its first revision in 1789.
This collection consists of the published form of the 1777 Georgia Constitution. It was printed in the Georgia Constitutional Gazette, no. 41, on March 31, 1777. The Georgia Constitutional Gazette was printed in Savannah by William Lancaster.
Original available by appointment only.
[item identification], Georgia Constitution, 1777, MS 1704, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Georgia Constitution, 1777 (Photocopy.)|
|2||Georgia Constitution, 1777 View online.|
|Online Inventory Contains Digitized Items|