|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Story, Mary A.|
|Title:||Mary A. Story papers|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
Mary A. Story was the daughter of George E. and Dora B. Adams. During her childhood years, she resided in the Savannah River area including Beaufort County, South Carolina. At the time she was writing the letters in the collection, Mrs. Story lived in Alma, Georgia (Bacon County) and was married to J. W. Story. Mrs. Story's birth and death dates are unknown, but she mentions in one letter that she attended high school during 1933 and gave birth to a daughter in 1952.
Story's father was a photographer in the Savannah area during the early twentieth century and he had a studio at the family's 45 Whitaker Street residence. The family also held property at 11 W. 34th Street and Brady Street in Savannah as well as a syrup mill in South Carolina
This collection contains her handwritten letters to Lilla M. Hawes of the Georgia Historical Society. Originally, the papers were held in the donor files of the Society as they discuss donations of materials (primarily photographs). These letters, however, are also filled with reminisces about her early life in the area surrounding the Savannah River. Except for the subjects of Florence Martus and a storm near Daufuskie Island, Mrs. Story's reminiscences tend to be brief. However, the details she gives about the Savannah River area are often picturesque and unique. The photographs she donated are now part of 1361PH, the Georgia Historical Society's general photograph collection. Although they are scattered throughout, her donations have been marked on back with her name.
[item identification], Mary A. Story papers, MS 1680, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
The photographs she donated were separated from the collection and cataloged separtely, as part of 1361PH, the Georgia Historical Society's general photograph collection. Although they are scattered throughout, her donations have been marked on back with her name.
|1||Item 1: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1959 November 4|
|Six pages on five sheets of paper. Along with her letter from 1959, Story included three pages of personal reminisces written in 1946. The letter from 1959 briefly discusses Florence Martus (The Waving Lady of Savannah), Captain Laird of the vessels Regis and Summergirl (see also item #5), construction on Fort Jackson, and Savannah River pirate named Rough Rider. The three page essay details the lives of Florence Martus and her brother, George Martus. Story also discusses her family's travels on parts of the Savannah River including Fields Cut, Market Dock at Barnard Street, Port Wentworth, and Wrights River. Brief mentions are made of the ship City of St. Louis and the Charleston earthquake of 1886.|
|1||Item 2: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1959 November 13|
|Four pages on three sheets of paper. Along with her letter from 1959, Story included an undated page of personal reminisces. The letter touches on Florence Martus but also discusses rice mill chimneys, English ballast stones or bricks deposited in Savannah, and Wrights River. The essay describes a storm she experienced with her family while boating to Daufuskie Island, South Carolina.|
|1||Item 3: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1959 November 19|
|November 19, 1959 and undated. Six pages on six sheets of paper. In addition to her letter, story included a two page poem entitled AA Trip to Daufuskie by Dora B. Adams, Mrs. Story's mother. The letter itself discusses Screven Ferry Road, travel by wagon, Getsinger's rooming house in Savannah (11 Barnard Street), ferry travel, the Purysburg and Hardeeville area of South Carolina, Turnbridge Landing, and the flooding of Turnbridge Creek in the storms of 1895 and 1927.|
|1||Item 4: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1959 November 23|
|Two pages on two sheets of paper. This letter mainly discusses possible donations including a circuit film made at Fort Jackson during World War I and a family quilt. (It is not known what became of these items.)|
|1||Item 5: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1959 December 14|
|Four pages on four sheets of paper. This letter tells the of Mrs. Story's half-brother, George, picking up an S.O.S. message during a storm that the family relayed to the Coast Guard. The Yamacraw was dispatched to the vessel's rescue. Other topics include the Seaboard fire, the ships Regis and Summergirl, Foltz photography studio, the Savannah auto races and winner David Bruce-Brown, and cane syrup production|
|1||Item 6: Mary A. Story to Lilla Hawes, 1960 January 6|
|Four pages on three sheets of paper. This letter mentions the Screven Ferry area, raids made by freed slaves following the Civil War, sail boating near Savannah, Market Dock near Barnard Street in Savannah, and watermelon merchants from the islands.|