|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Gignilliat, Arthur M., 1904-1993.|
|Title:||Arthur M. Gignilliat collection on Pineora (Ga.)|
|Extent:||0.3 cubic feet (4 folders)|
Arthur M. Gignilliat (1904-1993) was a member of the original faculty of Armstrong Junior College (now Armstrong Atlantic State University) in Savannah, Georgia. He was a descendant of William Gignilliat, the founder of Pineora, Georgia.
This collection consists of a poem and photographs pertaining to Pineora, Georgia. Pineora, located between Guyton and Marlow in the southwestern portion of Effingham County, was founded by William Le Serrurus Gignilliat, a descendant of French Huguenots. Prior to the Civil War the area was used as a fueling station by the Central of Georgia Railroad. It continued to supply wood for the railroad until the 1880s at which time locomotives were converted to coal.
Pineora began to be settled in the late 1880s, mostly by people attempting to escape the "unhealthfulness" of Savannah. The town enjoyed a measure of economic success prior to the Great Depression, shipping cotton, tobacco, and lumber out to various markets via the railroad.
Information provided by the donor states that the cultivation of bright leaf tobacco was introduced into Georgia at Pineora by the National Land Company. Families familiar with the cultivation and curing of tobacco were brought to Pineora from Conway, South Carolina, and other towns in the tobacco belt. According to the donor, the first tobacco warehouse in the state of Georgia was built at Pineora
The poem, entitled "Pretty Pineora," was written by John A. Kenan, circa 1900. The first folder of photographs contain agricultural photos of Pineora, 1911-1913. The second folder contains a 1912 postcard of George Wylly, the editor of the Effingham County News, a 1913 postcard of five men (identified as Perkins, Tilliware, Hale, Wylly, and Tilliware), and an undated photo of the Pineora Manufacturing Company lumber yard. The third folder contains an undated map of Pineora drawn for the Pineora Investment Company.
The folders containing photographs are noted as "VM" (visual materials) in the collection inventory.
Material was acquired from collector.
[item identification], Arthur M. Gignilliat collection on Pineora (Ga.), MS 1679, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Arthur M. Gignilliat, 1982.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Poem, "Pretty Pineora," by John A. Kenan, circa. 1900|
|1||Agricultural photos of Pineora, 1911-1913:|
|Pineora Park, #24; oat field, #26; Pineora Farm, velvet beans and chufas, #28; field corn, 1913,#31; prize corn, 1911, #32; prize corn, 1913, #35; tobacco, 1912, #37; auction sale of lots, #44; river view near Pineora Club House, #49; Ogeechee River, #51; prize corn, #64|
|2||1912 postcard of George Wylly; 1913 postcard of five men (Perkins, Tilliware, Hale, Wylly, Tilliware); undated photo of Pineora Manufacturing Company lumber yard, undated|
|3||Map of Pineora drawn for the Pineora Investment Company, undated|