|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah (Ga.). Park and Tree Commission.|
|Title:||Savannah (Ga.) Park and Tree Commission photographs of Colonial Cemetery|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 oversize folder)|
The Savannah, Georgia, Park and Tree Commission was created in December, 1895. One of the first endeavors of the commission was the restoration of Colonial Park cemetery. One of the burying grounds for early Savannah, Colonial Cemetery was already in need of expansion by 1762. After being closed to burials in 1853, the maintenance of the cemetery began to decline. Over the years, several efforts were made to clean and to repair the cemetery. Other projects included building the mall and adding the live oaks along Oglethorpe Avenue, Emmet Park, and the replanting and fertilization of all city squares.
This collection consists of "before and after" photographs of Colonial Cemetery taken for the Savannah Park and Tree Commission in 1896 and 1897. The six photographs are part of three sets. Each set contains two photos of the same area of the cemetery. In each set, one photo shows the area before it was cleaned up; the second photo shows what the area looked like after being cleaned. The 1896 photos were taken by J. N. Wilson. M. Edward Wilson was the photographer for the 1897 photos.
Originally, there appears to have been at least six sets of images. Each set was given a number by the photographers. This collection contains the images numbered 2, 3, and 6.
Material was acquired from Don Gardner on behalf of the creating organization.
[item identification], Savannah (Ga.) Park and Tree Commission photographs of Colonial Cemetery, MS 1625, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of City of Savannah, Park and Tree Commission, 1998.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||6 photographs of Colonial Park Cemetery, 1896-1897|
|Photographs are dated January 21, 1896 and November 21, 1897.|