|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.) minutes and history|
|Extent:||0.08 cubic feet (4 microfilm rolls)|
In May of 1827, members of the Independent Presbyterian Church in Savannah, Georgia, dissatisfied with the style and title of said church, petitioned the Presbytery of Georgia to organize a church more in accordance with the scriptural model. The Presbytery of Georgia (the only Presbytery in the state at the time) convened a special session on June 6, 1827 in Savannah in order to review a petition that expressed the desire to create a Presbyterian Church in the city of Savannah under the care of the Presbytery of Georgia. After careful consideration, the petition was granted. The new church was to be called the First Presbyterian Church of Savannah.
The members of the newly constituted church elected Lowell Mason, Joseph Cumming, and George G. Faries as Church Elders; these men were later ordained by the Presbytery. The first meeting place of the church was held at Lyceum Hall, located on the southwest corner of Bull and Broughton Streets. Further information contained in A History of the First Presbyterian Church of Savannah, Georgia, 1827-1977 by Dorothy and Clarence Williams.
This collection consists of a microfilm copy of records from the First Presbyterian Church in Savannah, Georgia. Included are session minutes, 1835-1948; Congregational meeting minutes and membership records, 1835-1929; the minutes of Joint Meetings of Elders and Deacons, 1921-1923; and a volume, A History of the First Presbyterian Church, Savannah, Georgia, 1827-1977.
A microfilm reader is required to access this collection.
[item identification], First Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.) minutes and history, MS 1615, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||X-1615-01. Session minutes, 1835-1853|
|Dates: 1835-1853; June 24, 1853-March 22, 1885; March 31, 1885-April 6, 1894; April 25, 1894-March 1895.|
|2||X-1615-02. Session minutes|
|Dates: April 10, 1895-March 31, 1906; April 8, 1906-April 9, 1916; April 17, 1916-April 11, 1926; May 2, 1926-October 21, 1930.|
|3||X-1615-03. Session minutes, October 21, 1930-1939; Congregation meetings, membership records, 1835-1916; building record, 1852-1857; Congregational meetings, 1869-1870, 1878-1901, 1926-1929; minutes of Joint Meetings of Elders and Deacons, 1921-1923; A History of the First Presbyterian Church, Savannah, Georgia, 1827-1977|
|4||X-1615-04. Session minutes, 1939 June 5-1948 March 21|