|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South (Pooler, Ga.)|
|Title:||Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South registers|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (3 folders)|
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South was founded in Pooler, Georgia on September 30, 1888. The church took its name from the Trinity Methodist Church in Savannah. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in America in 1784. Following the American Revolution, American Methodists organized their own church, separate from the Methodist church in England. The Methodist Episcopal Church split into two divisions in 1844 over the question of slavery. Southern Methodist Churches who wanted to keep slavery formed the Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1845. The Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South was on a charge and shared ministers with other churches until 1953. The church moved to Benton Drive in Pooler in 1974 and is still located there today. The church is now called Trinity United Methodist Church.
This collection contains photocopies of church registers for Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South in Pooler, Georgia from 1888 to 1948, including records of the branches of the church. This church had branches in Bloomingdale, Marlowe, Meldrim, New Hope, and Gaines. All of these branches were located in north Chatham County, Georgia. These church registers contain lists of members, records of infant baptisms, and records of pastors.
[item identification], Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South registers, MS 1598, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Ann R. Davis, 1996.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Pooler, Ga., 1888-1930|
|2||Pooler, Ga., 1920-1948|
|3||Bloomingdale, Meldrim, Marlowe, Pooler, Gaines Chapel, and New Hope Churches, 1924-1947|