|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Hopkins, Matthew M., (Matthew Martin), 1863-1943.|
|Title:||Matthew M. Hopkins gelatin dry plate negatives|
|Extent:||0.3 cubic feet (1 box, 1 folder)|
Matthew Martin Hopkins (1863-1943) was born in Savannah 25 June 1863. As a young man he became affiliated with the cotton business. By 1882, he worked for the Duckworth Company (known through the years as Muir, Duckworth and Co.; Duckworth, Turner and Co.; Duckworth and Co.; and the Duckworth Cotton Co.). In 1898, he went to work for Gaudry, Crisp and Co. That company carried his name in 1901-1902 as Gaudry and Hopkins. After 1902 Hopkins became the co-manager of the Savannah office of Duckworth Cotton Co. until it closed in 1929.
Hopkins married Marie A. DeBruyn Kops. At the time of his death, 24 October 1943, there were 3 surviving children. Hopkins was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church and was active in their choir. He was treasurer of both the Savannah Opera Association and the Savannah Benevolent Association.
This collection consists of glass gelatin dry plate negatives produced by Matthew M. Hopkins. The majority of images in this collection are of Chatham County, Ga., although there a few unidentified images and 1 from Warm Springs, Ga. The glass plate negatives which Mr. Hopkins produced have been scanned at 150 dpi and printed. Only these paper prints are available for research. The approximate collection dates are 1889-1900. The collection is arranged by subject: Agriculture (plantations), Buildings, Geographical Locations, People, and Transportation (ships).
[item identification], Matthew M. Hopkins gelatin dry plate negatives, MS 1590, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Felton C. Farrar, 1995.
Collection is open for research.
Glass plate negatives are restricted from patron use.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||1590.01. Agriculture, plantations. Beaulieu (Olmstead residence)|
|2||1590.02. Agriculture, plantations. Deptford (old tree)|
|3||1590.03. Buildings, mills. Warm Springs, old mill|
|4||1590.04. Buildings, street views (Savannah). 225 E. Hall Street--Baldwin residence (built 1888)|
|5||1590.05. Buildings, street views (Savannah). 126 W. Harris Street, Gammell house (built 1839), Pulaski Square|
|6||1590.06. Buildings, street views (Savannah). Oglethorpe Square, Robert Bolton House|
|7||1590.07. Geographic locations, cities and towns. Unidentified|
|8||1590.08. Geographic locations, counties. White Bluff, Habersham Point|
|9||1590.09. Geographic locations, unidentified landscapes. Unidentified|
|10||1590.10. People, identified families. Matthew M. Hopkins family|
|11||1590.11. People, identified groups. Weirs Cave Group|
|12||1590.12. People, groups of men. Unidentified|
|13||1590.13. People, groups of women. Misses Comer and Boyd|
|14||1590.14. Transportation, ships. Matthew Hopkins boat (Savannah River)|
|15||1590.15. Transportation, ships. Savannah yachts (Savannah River)|
|16||1590.16. Transportation, ships. Ocean Steamship Company steamer|