|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Germania Savings Bank (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Germania Savings Bank stock certificate|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Germania Savings Bank was incorporated on September 15, 1889 and received its charter on October 18, 1889. The bank was founded by Captain Henry Blun, Sr.; George W. Owens; J. Paulsen; Gustave Fox; R. Pechmann; H. Busse; J.C. Klein; and G.M. Ryals. The bank opened for business on October 27, 1889 at the northwest corner of Bryan and Abercorn Streets. Under the management of its president, Capt. Henry Blun, Sr., the bank prospered and in 1902 moved to the northeast corner of Bryan and Drayton streets. In 1900 the Germania Bank bought out and merged with the private banking house of Hull and Lathrop. On May 21, 1903, on his 70th birthday, Captain Blun laid the first marble block in the construction of the eight story Germania Bank Building on April 26, 1904, the bank moved into its own quarters in Savannah's first multi-storied office building. In 1917, for patriotic reasons during World War I, the name of the bank was changed from the Germania Bank to the Liberty Bank and Trust Company of Savannah. After a series of name and operational changes, the bank is currently known as Trust Company Bank of Georgia.
This item is a single stock certificate belonging to Mrs. C.Y. Craig, dated August 17, 1891. It gives her ownership to five shares of stock in the Germania Savings Bank of Savannah, Georgia. Each share cost $100.
[item identification], Germania Savings Bank stock certificate, MS 1589, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Sylvia Udinsky, 1995.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Stock certificate, 1891 August 17|