|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Duke University. Library. Manuscript Department.|
|Title:||Duke University Library collection on Franklin County (Ga.)|
|Extent:||0.04 cubic feet (2 microfilm rolls)|
Franklin County, Georgia, was the first county established in the state after the Revolutionary War. Created in 1784, it was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin. In 1787, portions of the original county were ceded to South Carolina.
The Duke University Manuscript Department was established in 1931, and the Rare Book department was formally organized in 1942. Between 1989 and 1992 the two departments were combined into the Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library.
This collection consists of papers concerning Franklin County, Georgia. The documents are primarily fi fas, deeds, promissory notes, receipts, powers of attorney, and accounts. The collection also includes a few land grants and plats, wills, affidavits, bonds, personal letters, and similar documents. The reverse side of a fi fas generally contains the sheriff's statement of his actions in carrying out his orders. Some of the papers, such as receipts, promissory notes, and accounts, were apparently filed with the Inferior Court or Court of Ordinary as part of annual returns of executors of administrators of estates. These papers are arranged in chronological order by the dates of the instruments. The material covers the years 1790 to 1881 but the bulk is dated between 1850 and 1867. The second roll of microfilm also includes Second Baptist Church minutes, 1924-1932.
These papers were microfilmed by the Georgia Department of Archives and History in 1978.
Original records in the Manuscript Department, Duke University Library, Durham, North Carolina.
A microfilm reader is required to access this collection.
[item identification], Duke University Library collection on Franklin County (Ga.), MS 1538, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||X-1538-01. Franklin County (Ga.) papers|
|2||X-1538-02. Franklin County (Ga.) papers|
|This roll includes Second Baptist Church minutes, 1924-1932.|