|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church records|
|Extent:||11.5 cubic feet (12 boxes)|
The Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church was located on 2020 Bull Street in Savannah, Georgia. It was established in 1868 as a mission of the Independent Presbyterian Church also in Savannah and later became an organized church in 1884. The church had been known at various times as Anderson Street Church, Second Presbyterian Church, and Westminster Church. It was named Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church in 1914 in memorial of Mary Elizabeth Blue Hull, the mother of Joseph Hull who donated land and funds for the church in 1913.
In the 1960s, Hull Memorial and the Eastern Heights Presbyterian Church in Savannah withdrew from the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. As a result of this withdrawal, the Presbyterian Church claimed rights to both churches' property, which led to a series of court cases in both the Georgia Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. By a unanimous decision on 19 January 1970, the Supreme Court upheld the Georgia Supreme Court's decision that Hull Memorial and Eastern Heights rightfully owned their properties. This court case decision then caused other churches to withdraw from the Presbyterian Church, eventually leading to the formation of the Presbyterian Church in America. Hull Memorial was one of the original churches in the formation of the Presbyterian Church in America denomination. The Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church was dissolved in 1990 after a steady decline in membership which began in the mid 1940s.
This collection contains church records regarding the operation of the Hull Memorial Presbyterian Church in Savannah, Georgia from 1908-1988. Included are church bulletins and newsletters, attendance records, financial records, minutes, correspondence, certificates, reports, and other miscellaneous materials relating to the Church and the various groups that operated within the church. Of particular interest are the records regarding the Supreme Court case that Hull Memorial was a part of in the 1960s, which determined that the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. had no right to Hull Memorial or other Presbyterian churches' property.
This collection is arranged into 12 boxes:
This collection is processed at the Basic Level (or collection level). There is no detailed inventory for this collection as it is not fully processed. To request that this collection be added to our priority list of collections to be fully processed as staffing and funding allow, please contact the Library and Archives staff.
The collection is open for research.