|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Congregation Mickve Israel (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Congregation Mickve Israel (Savannah, Ga.) minutes|
|Extent:||0.04 cubic feet (2 microfilm rolls)|
Congregation Mickve Israel was established in July 1735 by the original Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews who settled in colonial Savannah two years earlier. The original name, Kahal Kadosh Mickva Israel, translated to "Holy Congregation Hope of Israel." In 1790, following the American Revolutionary War, the State of Georgia granted Mickve Israel a perpetual charter. In 1878, Mickve Israel completed their current Gothic Revival synagogue. Originally associated with Orthodox Judaism, Mickve Israel began a long transition toward Reform Judaism in 1868 with the introduction of a choir and by omitting the second day of Festivals. Today the congregation is recognized as the second oldest religious institution in the State of Georgia, the third oldest Jewish congregation in the United States, and worships in the oldest synagogue in Georgia.
The Congregation Mickve Israel minutes (1852-1928) contain two rolls of microfilmed documents. The microfilm includes minutes of the Board of Adjunta. They are not filmed in sequence.
A microfilm reader is required to access this collection.
[item identification], Congregation Mickve Israel (Savannah, Ga.) minutes, MS 1410, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||X-1410-01. Minutes, 1852-1888|
|2||X-1410-02. Minutes, 1859-1904, 1925-1928|
|Filmed out of sequence.|