James S. Richmond collection on Wymberley Tract
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

James S. Richmond collection on Wymberley Tract

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Richmond, James S.
Title: James S. Richmond collection on Wymberley Tract
Dates: 1860-1950
Extent: 0.2 cubic feet (3 folders)
Identification: MS 1060

Biographical/Historical Note

Wymberley Tract, on Isle of Hope near Savannah, Georgia, is a part of the Wormsloe Plantation granted to Noble Jones in 1756. It was inherited by his son, Noble Wimberly Jones. Wimberly (original spelling) Tract appeared as a separate name for part of Wormsloe around 1808. In 1888, Colonel John H. Estill purchased several parcels of the tract and built his residence there. In 1909, the property was purchased by Judge George W. Tiedeman who built a mansion on the site, Carsten Hall, which burned down in 1933. In 1940, William B. Flinn of New York acquired the property to use as a docking station for milling and transporting timber harvested from Skidaway Island. Finally, in 1946, the property was purchased by James S. Richmond who named the tract 'Wymberley" and subdivided the tract for residential homes and a park.


Scope and Content Note

This collection contains information on the property transfer for the Wymberley Tract. Included are deeds, maps and photographs pertaining to the transfer and development of property.


Index Terms

Conveyances.
Deeds.
Maps (documents)
Photographs.
Richmond, James S.
Wills.
Wymberly Tract (Ga.)

Administrative Information

Custodial History

Material was acquired from collector.

Preferred Citation

[item identification], James S. Richmond collection on Wymberley Tract, MS 1060, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Gift of James S. Richmond, 1975.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Container List

 

Fldr

Item

11Deed of William Hunter, Trustee, for five acres of land in the village called Wimberly, 1860 May 25 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

12Deed of William Hunter, Trustee, for 62 1/2 acres of land on the Isle of Hope, 1860 May 25 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

13Quit claim deed of Ann G. Hunter for five acres of land on the Isle of Hope, 1860 May 25 ( 1.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

14Deed of Rufus S. Claghorn et, al. for seven-eighths of lot no. 6 and part of lot no. 5 and lots letter H and J at Isle of Hope, 1888 February 28 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

15Deed of John Estill for the above property; includes survey sketch of the land, 1888 February 28 ( 4.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

16Deed of John H. Estill for one-eighth interest of lot no. 6, part of lot no. 5, lot letter H and lot letter J, at Isle of Hope, 1888 February 28 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

27Deed of John H. Estill for eleven acres of marsh land at Isle of Hope, 1904 March 28 ( 2.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

28Executor's deed of Maud Hill Estill for several tracts of land known as Wymberley and Burnt-Pot Island, 1908 April 11 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

29Abstract of title to large lots 5 and 6 at Isle of Hope and to front lots H and J, 1908 April 13 (5 p.)
 

Fldr

Item

210Deed of George W. Tiedeman for several tracts of land on Isle of Hope; includes 1888 map of the property, 1909 December 15 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

211Deed of Geo. W. Tiedeman Company, Inc., for various tracts of land on the Isle of Hope, 1916 September 11 ( 4.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

212Transcript of proceedings of the meeting of the stockholders of the George W. Tiedeman Company, Inc., transferring its property at the Isle of Hope plus Burnt-Pot Island to George W. Tiedeman, 1920 July 29 ( 6.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

213Deed of James S. Richmond for lands at Wymberley, 1946 February 27 ( 4.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

214Record of Conveyances out of James S. Richmond, 1964 January 1-1950 December 31
 

Fldr

Item

315Typed copy of last will and testament of John Holbrook Estill, Savannah, 1907 October 1 ( 6.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

316An agreement among Chatham County, the Estate of G.W,J. DeRenne, and George W. Tiedeman for construction of a public road to the Isle of Hope, 1921 June 13 ( 3.0 p. )
 

Fldr

Item

317Map of Poplar Grove and lands south of Estill Avenue, subdivided as per plan of the city of Savannah, 1896 February
 

Fldr

Item

318Map of a thirty-foot strip of land along the Northern line of Wormsloe, Isle of Hope, 1947 August
 

Fldr

Item

319Pamphlet, "Wymberley, Isle of Hope", Undated
Describes Wymberley's past, its present, and its future as a housing subdivision.
 

Fldr

Item

320Photograph of the home of James S. Richmond, 811 East Victory Drive, Savannah. Completed, 1948 October
 

Fldr

Item

321Photograph of James S. Richmond planting the first "Judge Solomon" azelea
These plants eventually lined all of Richmond Drive at the Isle of Hope. Included in the photograph are David Beall, Mrs. Eugene Beall, Nancy Richmond, Mrs. Walter (Sally) Stillwell, Mrs. Margaret Tarratus Carter.
 

Fldr

Item

322Photograph same as above, but from a different angle
 

Fldr

Item

323Photograph of Carsten Hall on Isle of Hope, Southern side of home
 

Fldr

Item

324Photograph of Carsten Hall from another south­side angle
 

Fldr

Item

325Photograph of Carsten Hall with portion of adjacent grounds
 

Fldr

Item

326Photograph of the gate at the north side of Wymberley