John Dooly letter
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

John Dooly letter

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Dooly, John, active 1779.
Title: John Dooly letter
Dates: 1780
Extent: 0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)
Identification: MS 0936

Biographical/Historical Note

John Dooly (c. 1740-1780) was born in North Carolina. In 1762, he moved from South Carolina to the area that is now Wilkes County, Georgia with his wife, three sons, and three orphaned nephews. He served as Captain of the 2nd Continental Georgia Brigade and was later promoted to Colonel. He commanded a regiment at the Battle of Kettle Creek in 1779. He was killed in 1780 by American Loyalists, commonly known as Tories. Dooly County, formed in 1821, is named after John Dooly.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of one letter from John Dooly to Alexander McGown in Savannah, Georgia. It was written from Leesburg, Virginia on August 8, 1780 and concerns payment of a debt.


Index Terms

Debt.
Dooly, John, active 1779.
Letters (correspondence)
McGowan, Alexander.

Administrative Information

Custodial History

Unknown.

Preferred Citation

[item identification], John Dooly letter, MS 936, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Unknown.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Container List

 
Item 1: John Dooly letter to Alexander McGown in Savannah, Georgia, 1780 August 8 ( 2.0 p. )