Butler and Stevens ledger
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

Butler and Stevens ledger

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Butler and Stevens (Savannah, Ga.)
Title: Butler and Stevens ledger
Dates: 1876-1889
Extent: 0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)
Identification: MS 0897

Biographical/Historical Note

Butler and Stevens (Robert M. Butler and Henry D. Stevens) were cotton factors and commission merchants in Savannah, Georgia, from approximately 1879 until the 1920s. The company was then continued for another 10 years by their sons.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of a ledger for the company Butler and Stevens. It contains invoices for the Exporting Department, 1886-1889. Shipments were for cotton, pitch pine lumber, and rosin. Most of the ledger is in Spanish. Pasted in the back of the ledger are 3 sheets of cotton exports from Charleston, South Carolina, for 1876.


Index Terms

Business enterprises--Georgia--Savannah.
Butler and Stevens (Savannah, Ga.)
Commission merchants.
Consumer goods.
Cotton.
Ledgers (account books)
Lumber trade.

Administrative Information

Custodial History

Unknown.

Preferred Citation

[item identification], Butler and Stevens ledger, MS 897, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Unknown.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Container List

 
Item 1: Ledger, Butler and Stevens, Exporting Department, 1876-1889