Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Architectural Records Committee papers
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Architectural Records Committee papers

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Title: Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Architectural Records Committee papers
Dates: 1945
Extent: 0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)
Identification: MS 0794

Biographical/Historical Note

The Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences Architectural Records Committee was established in 1945 to prepared measured drawings of historic houses in Savannah, to obtain as many existing original plans or measured drawings of early houses as possible, and to collect as many photographs as possible of early houses. The Committee collected some original architectural plans, prepared measured drawings of others, and obtained copies of some of the measured drawing of Savannah buildings which had been prepared by the Historic American Buildings Survey. Some of these architectural plans were later given to the Georgia Historical Society by the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences and are now in the former's collection of architectural surveys.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of papers from the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences Architectural Records Committee, 1945. Included are: a notice of a meeting called for July 21, 1945, by Morton H. Levy, Chairman, with a list of Savannah buildings for which measured drawings were made for the Historic American Buildings Survey; an undated statement of the purpose of the committee; a typed, carbon copy of "Ironwork with Savannah and other Examples Noted," prepared by Morton H. Levy for the Savannah Historical Research Association, 1940; and a letter from William B. Clarke to E.R. Denmark, 1929, regarding the architectural history of the "Pink House" from its creation by James Habersham, Jr. and its replica at 102 E. Gaston St., built for Mrs. Mills B. Lane.


Index Terms

Habersham, James, 1745-1799.
Historic buildings.
Ironwork.
Letters (correspondence)
Manuscripts (document genre)
Minutes (administrative records)
Savannah (Ga.)
Savannah Historical Research Association (Ga.)
Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Administrative Information

Custodial History

Unknown.

Preferred Citation

[item identification], Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Architectural Records Committee papers, MS 794, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Unknown.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Container List

 
Item 1: Notice of a meeting called for July 21, 1945 by Morton H. Levy, Chairman. Attached is a list of Savannah buildings for which measured drawings had been made for the Historical American Buildings Survey ( 3.0 p. ) (Typed)
 
Item 2: Statement of the purpose of the Committee, undated ( 2.0 p. ) (Typed carbon copy.)
 
Item 3: "Ironwork with Savannah and other Examples Noted," prepared by Morton H. Levy for the Savannah Historical Research Association, 1940 February ( 7.0 p. ) (Typed carbon copy.)
 
Item 4: William B. Clarke to E.R. Denmark. Savannah, 1929 June 21 ( 4.0 p. ) (Typed carbon copy.)
Regarding history of the building of the "Pink House," and its replica at 102 E. Gaston St., built for Mrs. Mills B. Lane.