|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Telfair, Mary, 1791-1875.|
|Title:||Mary Telfair papers|
|Extent:||0.2 cubic feet (2 folders, 1 oversize folder)|
Mary Telfair (1791-1875) was the daughter of Edward Telfair. She was active in cultural and social affairs in Savannah, Georgia. As the last surviving child of Edward Telfair, she came into possession of most of the large fortune accumulated by him. By her will she bequeathed sums of money or income-producing property to the Independent Presbyterian Church in Savannah, the Presbyterian Church in Burke County, and the Georgia Historical Society. To this last organization, she bequeathed her home and most of its contents for the establishment of the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences. She also left funds for the establishment and maintenance of the Telfair Widow's Home and the Telfair Hospital for Women, both in Savannah.
This collection consists primarily of documents relating to Telfair property. Included are a grant of 400 acres of land in Burke County to Thomas Kirkpatrick, 1790, signed by Edward Telfair, Governor; a bill of sale for slaves, 1812; a deed from the Trustees of the Independent Presbyterian Church to Alexander Telfair for pew #6, 1818; a survey of Edward Telfair's property in Burke County, and a note by Mary Telfair stating that if she survived her sister, Margaret Telfair Hodgson, and her husband, Mrs. Hodgson wants property appropriated for the establishment and maintenance of a Female Hospital in Savannah. These papers were given to the Telfair Hospital Board by the executors of Mary Telfair's estate; they are in very fragile condition and may not be used; photocopies are available for use. Also included is a letter from Mary Telfair to Sophie Clinch, written from Savannah, 1875. In the letter, Telfair writes of her loneliness, Savannah, a several mutual friends. Sophie Clinch was Sophie H. Gibbes Couper Clinch, the second wife of Gen. Duncan L. Clinch.
Excepting the letter from Mary Telfair to Mrs. Sophie Clinch, this collection is extremely fragile and must not be used. Photocopies are available for use.
Some material was acquired from the Telfair Hospital Board, which received the material from the executors of Mary Telfair's estate.
[item identification], Mary Telfair papers, MS 792, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Telfair Hospital Board, 1960 (Items 1-5); Edith D. Johnston, 1951 (Item 6).
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Photocopies of documents re Telfair property, 1790-1870s|
|Grant of 400 acres of land in Burke County to Thomas Kirkpatrick, 1790 May 25, 2.0 p.|
|Signed by Edward Telfair, Governor. Plat and pendant seal attached.|
|Marshall's bill of sale of slaves by writ of Fieri Facias against Emanuel Wambersie to George Haig, 1812 June 2, 1.0 p.|
|Deed, Trustees of the Independent Presbyterian Church to Alexander Telfair, Pew No. 6, 1818 May 15, 1.0 p. , DS.|
|Survey of Edward Telfair's property in Burke County. M., Undated|
|Note by Mary Telfair stating that is she (Mary) survived her sister, Margaret Telfair Hodgson and her husband, Mrs. Hodgson wants property appropriated for the establishment and maintenance of a Female Hospital in Savannah, undated|
|2||6||Mary Telfair to Mrs. Sophie Clinch. Savannah, 1875 May 16, 4.0 p.|
|Writes of her loneliness, description and news of Savannah; mentions several mutual friends.|
|2||Original documents regarding Telfair property, 1790-1870s|
|FRAGILE; MAY NOT BE USED.|