|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah Medical College.|
|Title:||Savannah Medical College minutes|
|Extent:||0.5 cubic feet (1 volume)|
The Savannah Medical College was the second such college organized in Georgia. The cornerstone for its building was laid in January 1853, and the college opened for its first session in November of that year. The building was on the northwest corner of Taylor and Habersham Streets. The Savannah Poor House and Marine Hospital served for demonstrations in clinical medicine. The college was closed during the Civil War. It re-opened in 1866 and continued operating in its building until it was sold in 1871. For ten more years, lectures were held in the Savannah Hospital. The college closed in 1881.
This collection consists of the minutes of the faculty of the Savannah Medical College, March 1853-February 1862. Included in the minutes are: a report of the Dean of the Faculty, 1860, a letter of Dr. William Bullock regarding the publication of an announcement, and reports of commencement exercises.
[item identification], Savannah Medical College (Ga.), MS 698, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Dr. Thomas J. Charlton, date unknown.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Item 1: Minutes of the faculty of the Savannah Medical College, 1853 March 28-1862 February 25|
|Laid in materials include a report of the Dean of the Faculty, 1860, a letter of Dr. William B. Bulloch regarding publication of an announcement, reports of commencement exercises.|