|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah Free School Society (Ga.)|
|Title:||Savannah Free School Society rules, minutes, and accounts|
|Extent:||0.5 cubic feet (3 volumes)|
The Savannah Free School Society was organized in November, 1816, by a group of women in Savannah, Georgia, for the purpose of educated children of both genders whose parents could not afford to pay for school. At each annual meeting, the members of the Society elected thirteen directresses to manage the "affairs and concerns" of the entire Society. They hired a teacher and opened the Savannah Free School on February 10, 1817, in one room of the Chatham Academy. The city of Savannah granted Lot 39, Brown Ward, to the Society in 1818 as a site for the school building, and in that same year the Society was chartered by an Act of the Georgia General Assembly. William Jay was selected as the architect and builder for the Savannah Free School, which was dedicated on February 16, 1820. A few children of non-impoverished parents were later admitted on payment of tuition. The school building burned down in June, 1852; a new school, designed by Charles Scholl, was erected on Lot 49, on the southwest corner of Charlton and Drayton Streets in 1853. The school building was purchased in 1885 by the Industrial Relief Society and Home for the Friendless, which eventually became the Louis Porter Home.
This collection consists of three volumes containing the records of the Savannah Free School Society, 1816-1874. The first volume contains the rules of the society and minutes of the Board of Managers, 1816-1838. Volume 2 contains the minutes of the Board of Managers, 1832-1856. Volume 3 is a Treasurers' account book, 1832-1874. names of pupils, teachers, subscribers, and benefactors, as well as annual reports and curricula are interspersed throughout the minute books.
[item identification], Savannah Free School Society rules, minutes, and accounts, MS 689, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. Gordon Saussy, date unknown.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Rules of the Society; Minutes of the Board of Managers (Directresses), 1816 December-1838 November|
|2||Minutes of the Board of Managers, 1832 January 4-1856 June 3|
|3||Treasurers' account book, 1832 November 8-1874 July 1|