|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Savannah-Chatham County Historical Site and Monument Commission (Ga.)|
|Title:||Savannah-Chatham County Historic Site and Monument Commission minute book|
|Extent:||0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Savannah-Chatham County Historic Site and Monument Commission was established by an act of the Georgia General Assembly on March 8, 1949, for the purpose of marking, caring for, restoring, and repairing historic sites and monuments in Savannah and Chatham County. The members were appointed by the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of Savannah and County Commission. Thomas H. Gignilliat was the commission's first secretary, 1949-1955; Lilla M. Hawes was the second, 1955-1965.
This collection consists of a Savannah-Chatham County Historic Site and Monument Commission minute book, 1949-1965. It is a record of the proceedings of the Commission, including some correspondence and other records, kept first by Thomas H. Gignilliat, the first secretary, 1949-1955, and then by Lilla M. Hawes, the second secretary, 1955-1965. A copy of the charter is in the front of the volume.
Material was acquired from Lilla Hawes, secretary of the creating body.
[item identification], Savannah-Chatham County Historic Site and Monument Commission minute book, MS 682, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Lilla M. Hawes, date unknown.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Item 1: Minute book, 1949 May 31-1965 December 3|