|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Saint Matthew's Chapel.|
|Creator:||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church.|
|Title:||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church records|
|Extent:||0.04 cubic feet (2 microfilm rolls)|
St. Paul's Episcopal Church traces its origins to 1852 when it was established as a mission for poor and working-class followers by members of Christ Church and St. John's parish. It was originally on Abercorn Street at Calhoun Square. At a time when wealthier church members purchased pews, this was the first "free pew" Episcopal Church. St. Paul's was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese in 1892.
The church building was destroyed by fire in 1866. It then occupied buildings at Huntington and Tattnall Streets and later at Duffy and Barnard Streets. A bequest of Eliza Lewis Clinch funded a new building at 34th and Abercorn Streets in 1907. The architect of the English Gothic style church was John Sutcliffe.
This collection consists of minutes of meetings of the Vestry, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, October 24, 1891-November 1, 1906. Includes minutes of congregational meetings; correspondence; and financial reports. The minutes begin with the movement to make a regular church of St. Matthew's Chapel, which became St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
At some point, the genealogy of the Frankie Hodges family was combined with a history of St. Paul's church edited by Mrs. Frankie Hodges, and parish registers. The family history was likely added because it involved St. Paul's Church, but the two are actually separate collections.
The collection was microfilmed by the Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Utah. The microfilming took place at the Savannah Public Library in 1989.
Microfilm reader required to view these materials.
This collection is believed to have remained with the church until transfer to the Chatham County Clerk of Court and Commissioners at an unknown date. Georgia Historical Society received the collection in 1951.
[item identification], Saint Paul's Episcopal Church records, MS 676, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Chatham County Clerk of Court and Commissioners, 1951.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|676-01||Frankie Hodges Family papers, volumes 1-4, 1725-1982|
|676-01||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church history, 1852-1989|
|676-01||History of Saint Matthew's and Saint Paul's, volumes 1-2, 1852-1989|
|676-01||Saint Matthew's Mission parish register, 1884-1892|
|676-01||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church parish register, volume 1, 1892-1911|
|676-02||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church marriage register, volumes 1-2, 1911-1948|
|676-02||Saint Paul's Episcopal Church parish register, volumes 2-4, 1911-1985|