|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Richmond County (Ga.)|
|Title:||Richmond County (Ga.) tax record|
|Extent:||0.25 cubic feet (1 box)|
Richmond County, Georgia was established in 1777, replacing St. Pauls Parish. The county originally encompassed land that later became Richmond, Columbia, and McDuffie Counties, as well as parts of Warren, Glascock, and Jefferson Counties. Augusta became the county seat.
During the late 1860s in the United States (post-Civil War), the average tariff duty stood at 47 percent. According to the National Tax Museum, many goods, such as cotton textiles, were taxed 100 percent. Federal taxes remained high throughout this time period in order to fund Reconstruction.
This collection consists of three non-consecutive pages of a manuscript, titled "Names of persons who paid direct taxes to the United States Government, with Valuation, Amounts paid, and dates of payment in Richmond County, Georgia." It is dated April-July 1866. Page 2 contains surnames Barnes through Brown. Pages 32 and 33 list surnames McWhorter through Mustin.
[item identification], Richmond County (Ga.) tax record, MS 660, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Georgia Department of Archives and History, 1966.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||"Names of persons who paid direct taxes to the United States Government, with Valuation, Amounts paid, and dates of payment in Richmond County, Georgia", 1866 April-July|
|p. 2, 32-33.|