|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Extent:||0.13 cubic feet (1 box)|
Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. An earthwork fort was built on the island in 1813 and was replaced by a masonry fort in 1819. This fort was destroyed by fire in 1832 and construction of the present structure was completed in 1859. During the Civil War the fort was used as a prison with 250 of Stonewall Jackson's soldiers being the first prisoners following the Battle of Kernstown in 1862. The fort was not intended for prisoners and modifications were made in order to house 10,000 captured Confederates. About 2,700 soldiers died at Fort Delaware with 2,400 of these being buried in a national cemetery at Finn's Point, New Jersey. Fort Delaware was closed in 1944.
This collection contains volume 1, number 1 of Prison Times, dated April 8, 1865. This handwritten newspaper was produced by prisoners held at the Fort Delaware prison during the Civil War. It includes editorials, announcements, advertisements, poetry, a barracks directory, Christian Association directory, club notices, and prison news.
[Identification of item], Prison Times, MS 638, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Prison Times, volume 1, number 1, 1865 April 8|
|Item encased in two sided glass frame.|