|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Anderson, Jefferson Randolph, 1861-1950.|
|Creator:||Oglethorpe Monument Commission (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Oglethorpe Monument Commission papers|
|Extent:||0.3 cubic feet (8 folders)|
The Oglethorpe Monument Association was chartered by the Chatham County Superior Court on May 18 1901. The Association was comprised of six representatives, each from the Georgia Society of Colonial Dames of America, the Sons of the Revolution, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Georgia. Its purpose was to raise funds for monument to James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia. By resolutions and Acts of the General Assembly of Georgia in 1905 and 1906, funds were added by the State of Georgia. The Oglethorpe Monument Association then became the Oglethorpe Monument Commission. Daniel Chester French was chosen as the sculptor. The monument was unveiled with suitable ceremonies in 1910. At the time of the unveiling only the south face of the monument was inscribed; the inscriptions on the other three faces were added in 1929.
This collection consists of the papers of J. Randolph Anderson, Chairman of the Oglethorpe Monument Commission. They include correspondence, financial records, official papers, and speeches pertaining to the Commission and the erection and unveiling of the monument, clippings, and photographs.
Material was acquired from J. Randolph Anderson's daughter.
[item identification], Oglethorpe Monument Commission papers, MS 597, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. Henry Norris Platt, 1968.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||Correspondence, 1906-1911 ( 20.0 items. )|
|Correspondents are: R.E. Park, State Treasurer; Van-Amringe Granite Co., Inc.; Gari Melchers, artist; James B. Copps, suggesting a design for the monument; N.P. Corish, clerk of Savannah City Council naming the city's appointees to the Commission; James W. McIntire regarding removing busts of Gens. Bartow and McLaws from Chippewa Square; Kate A. Wilson, regarding money from Jasper Festival Committee vested I Colonial Dames of the monument; J. Gardner regarding busts of Bartow and McLaws; Colonial Dames regarding inscription and replies from the Commission; Neyle Colquitt, Secretary to the Mayor of Savannah; Coast Artillery Corps, regarding seating for the unveiling; Daniel Chester French (5) acknowledging receipt of payment and photographs of the monument and celebrations, and regarding inscription, his letter of August, 26, 1911 mentions his work on the Lincoln monument; Justice J.R. Lamar regarding inscription; J.R. Anderson to Daniel Chester French (retained copy) regarding inscription; Henry Bacon, architect for the monument to Daniel Chester French regarding inscription.|
|2||Correspondence, 1912-1929 April ( 23.0 items. )|
|All of the correspondence in this folder except one letter pertains to the added inscriptions. Correspondents are: Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Georgia, Daniel Chester French (3); Henry Bacon; J. Randolph Anderson; Georgia Society of Colonial Dames; Frances C. Meldrim (Mrs. Peter W.); George A. Worrell, stone cutter; Walter G. Cooper (re change of name of Grassy Knob to Mount Oglethorpe).|
|3||Correspondence, 1929 July-August ( 26.0 items. )|
|All of the correspondence in this folder pertains to the added inscriptions. Correspondents are: P.D. Daffin, Chairman of the Savannah Park and Tree Commission; Cletus W. Bergen, architect; Henrik Wallin, architect; Mrs. Walter G. Charlton; J. Randolph Anderson; Dr. Antonio J. Waring; J.A.P. Chrisfield; Daniel Chester French (telegram); Shelby Myrick; William G. Clarke, architect.|
|Statements of receipts and expenditures, receipts for payments made, vouchers, etc. for the erection and unveiling ceremonies of the Oglethorpe Monument. Includes a receipt from Daniel Chester French.|
|Statements of receipts and expenditures, receipts for payments made, vouchers, etc. for the erection and unveiling ceremonies of the Oglethorpe Monument.|