Samuel Douglass land plats and certificates
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

Samuel Douglass land plats and certificates

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Douglass, Samuel, -approximately 1825.
Title: Samuel Douglass land plats and certificates
Dates: 1767-1778
Extent: 0.1 cubic feet (1 folder)
Identification: MS 0476

Biographical/Historical Note

Samuel Douglass (d. ca. 1825) was a merchant in Savannah, Georgia, owning the Samuel Douglass and Co., which was founded in 1767. Douglass was elected to the Common House of Assembly in 1780 as a representative from St. Matthews Parish. A loyalist, many of his lands were confiscated after the Revolutionary War. His business partner was Andrew Lord (ca. 1751-1781), until the partnership was dissolved in December, 1776. Lord was from Charleston, South Carolina. He married Anne Gadsden on November 22, 1770.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of photocopies of survey plats and certificates of properties bought by Samuel Douglass, 1767-1778. Some of the properties were bought by Douglass and Andrew Lord together. The land was located in St. Matthews Parish, St. Georges Parish, Christ Church Parish, and St. Andrews Parish, Each certificate has the land's provenance included. All certificates are signed by Thomas Tucker. All plats and most certificates are numbered; some numbers are duplicated among different documents. Not every lot includes both a plat and a certificate. The collection does not include copies of the land grants that include gubernatorial signatures.


Index Terms

Burke County (Ga.)
Certificates.
Chatham County (Ga.)
Douglass, Samuel, -approximately 1825.
Effingham County (Ga.)
Georgia--History--1775-1865.
Georgia--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
Liberty County (Ga.)
Lord, Andrew, approximately 1751-1781.
Plats (maps)

Location of Originals

Original land grants and plats in the Public Record Office in London, England.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Unknown.

Preferred Citation

[Item identification], Samuel Douglass land plats and certificates, MS 476, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Unknown.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Photocopies cannot be made without permission from the Public Record Office, London.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Container List

 
Item 1: Plat No. 1. Land granted to Samuel Douglass
Certified June 19, 1767. Original grant signed by James Wright, April 5, 1768.
 
Item 2: Plat No. 2. Land granted to Samuel Douglass
Certified March 3, 1772. Original grant signed by James Habersham, January 19, 1773. Land located in St. Matthews Parish.
 
Item 3: Plat No. 3. Land granted to Samuel Douglass
Certified October 14, 1772. Original grant signed by Governor Wright, July 5, 1774. Land located in St. Georges Parish.
 
Item 4: Plat No. 4. Land granted to Samuel Douglass
Certified January 22, 1773. Original grant signed by Gov. James Wright, October 4, 1774. Land located in St. Georges Parish.
 
Item 5: Certificate and plat No. 5. Land provenance
Originally granted to Anthony Fahie and Stephen Adye; sold, Samuel Douglass of Savannah, May 12, 13, 1778, along with 100 acres bought from Thomas Palmer and Son. Plat certified June 12, 1774. Land located in Christ Church Parish.
 
Item 6: Certificate and plat No. 6. Land provenance
Tract 1 originally granted to Henry Hinnon; sold by Matthew Roche, August 22, 1781. Tract 2 sold by James Port, April 2, 3, 1781. Tract 3 sold by Charles Price, August 1, 1773. Tract 4 sold by Lewis Johnston, May 12, 13, 1778.
 
Item 7: Certificate and plat No. 7. Land provenance
Tract 1 originally granted to George Delgale; sold to Christopher Dawson, May 7, 8, 1765. Tract 2 originally granted to George Delgale; sold to Samuel Douglass, December 28, 29, 1773. Tract 3 originally granted to Christopher Dawson; sold by John Simpson, August 1, 1772. Plat certified May 21, 1773. Land located in Christ Church Parish.
 
Item 8: Certificate and plat No. 8. Land provenance
Tract 1 originally granted to James Alexander, December 5, 1769. Tract 2 originally owned by Alexander Findlay and James Seymour, August 1, 1769; sold to Samuel Douglass, June 9, 10, 1771, September 11, 1771. Plat certified July 4, 1769. Land located in Christ Church Parish.
 
Item 9: Certificate and plat No. 9. Land provenance
Originally granted to Hugh Lynn, December 4, 1770; sold to Samuel Douglass, May 13, 14, 1772. Plat certified May 1, 1770. Land located in Christ Parish Church.
 
Item 10: Certificate and plat No. 10. Land provenance
Originally granted to John Williams, July 7, 1761; sold by John Graham and Georgia Baillie to Michael Hamer, June 5, 1770; sold to Samuel Douglass, July 17, 18, 1772. Land located in St. Andrews Parish.
 
Item 11: Certificate and plat No. 11. Land provenance
Originally granted to Raymond Dimire, July 1, 1760; sold do John Graham; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, May 16, 17, 1776. Plat certified November 1, 1771. Land located on an island in the Altamaha River.
 
Item 12: Certificate and plat No. 12. Land provenance
Originally granted to Pickering Robinson, February 2, 1760; sold to John Wereat, Jun 2, 1764; sold to James Hume, December 28, 1773; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, March 21, 1780. Plat certified September 26, 1774.
 
Item 13: Certificate and plat No. 13. Land provenance
Originally granted to John Davis, June 7, 1757; sold to John Earl, September 22, 1763; sold to Archibald Bulloch, February 25, 1767; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, October 23, 1771. Plat certified August 25, 1772. Land located in Christ Church Parish, Skidaway Island.
 
Item 14: Certificate and plat No. 14. Land provenance
Originally granted to Daniel Marrett, September 16, 1738; sold to Adrian Soyer, June 25,26, 1756, July 2,3, 1765; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, August 18, 19, 1774.
 
Item 15: Certificate and plat No. 15. Land provenance
Originally granted to John Goode, September 6, 1768; sold to William Connell, July 3,4, 1769; sold to Collin Raddock, June 14, 15, 1770; bought at auction by Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, July 3, 1772. Land located in St. Georges Parish.
 
Item 16: Certificate and plat No. 16. Land provenance
Originally granted to Christopher Ring and Peter Blyth, October 2, 1764; sold to Thomas Burrington; sold by Matthew Roche to Pete Blyth, August 11, 1767; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, November 14, 1777. Land located in St. Georges Parish.
 
Item 17: Certificate and land plat No. 17. Land provenance
Originally granted to William Rhiny, September 6, 7, 1772; sold to Samuel Douglass and Andrew Lord, October 24, 25, 1777. Plat certified December 12, 1771. Land located in St. Georges Parish.
 
Item 18: Certificate and plat No. 18. Land provenance
Originally granted to William Ewen; willed to his wife, Margaret; sold to Samuel Douglass, March 25, 26, 1778. Plat certified November 17, 1760. Land located in St. Georges Parish.