|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia.|
|Title:||Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia stock certificates|
|Extent:||(1 folder) 0.05 cubic feet|
|Collection materials are in English.|
The Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia was organized in April or May of 1863; Gazaway Bugg Lamar was its president. An opponent of the cotton embargo place upon the South, Lamar began the company as a way to run the blockades and continue trade with the North and with England. The company purchased a total of five ships by the middle of 1864: Florie, Lillian, Little Hattie, Little Ada, and Susan Brown; the first three ships were purchased in Europe. The Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia ran blockades between Wilmington and Bermuda, a depot for goods traveling to and from Liverpool, England. Agents were established in the four ports used by the company: Henry Lafone was stationed in Europe; James C. Phinizy was in Bermuda; L.G. Blowers and C.A.L. Lamar were stationed in Wilmington, and Lamar remained in Savannah. To avoid being stopped at the blockades, the Governor of Savannah, Joseph Brown, agreed to have the ships sail under the guise of state governmental business. The company failed to thrive, however, when the Confederate States of America's government insisted that half of all cargo space on all vessels traveling under the government's name must be used for government shipments. The Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia was dissolved and its assets liquidated by Lamar when he swore allegiance to the United States after the 1864 capture of Savannah.
The collection consists of certificates of shares to S.S. Howell and A. Armstrong, Simeon Eaves, J.B. Bissell, June 12, 1863 and March 15, 1864.
[item identification], Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia certificates, MS 413, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. David S. Atkinson, 1956.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Item 1: Certificate for 1 share in capital stock, Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia. S.S. Howell and A. Armstrong, 1863 June 12|
|Signed by G.B. Lamar. Certificate No. 224.|
|Item 2: Certificate for 2 share in capital stock, Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia. Simeon Eaves, 1863 June 12|
|Signed by G.B. Lamar. Certificate No. 145. On reverse: authorization for the transfer of share to S.S. Howell by H.H. DeLeon, Agent. Blackville, South Carolina, January 1, 1864.|
|Item 3: Certificate for 3 shares in capital stock, Importing and Exporting Company of Georgia. J.B. Bissell, 1864 March 15|
|Signed by G.B. Lamar. Certificate No. 937.|