|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Holmes, John, active 1764.|
|Creator:||Holmes, John, active 1806.|
|Title:||John Holmes affidavit and grant|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
John Holmes (1) was the son of Isaac and Susan Holmes, who moved to South Carolina from England in 1721. John Holmes moved to the province of Florida, where he held numerous positions, including the deputy collector of customs, a member of the East Florida Royal Council from 1764 through the Revolutionary War, Clerk of the Crown and Common pleas, and comptroller. He was granted a town lot in St. Augustine and 300 acres. John Holmes (2) was a member of the Georgia House of Representatives from Glynn County in 1806.
This collection may contain items from two different men named John Holmes. It consists of an affidavit of John Holmes (1) that he was a former resident of St. Augustine, Florida and that he was born a British subject, 1788, and of a grant for 150 acres in Glynn County, Georgia to John Holmes, 1802.
Item 2 was acquired from Mrs. C.S. McNair of Chicago, Illinois, through the Chicago Historical Society.
[Item identification], John Holmes affidavit and grant, MS 392, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. C.S. McNair, date unknown (Item 2).
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Item 1: Affidavit of John Holmes, 1788 October 8 ( 1.0 p. )|
|That he was a former resident of St. Augustine, Florida, now residing I St. Paul's Parish, South Carolina (a part of the present Colleton County), that he was born a British subject and continued his allegiance to King George III.|
|Item 2: Grant of 150 acres in Glynn County, Georgia to John Holmes, 1802 November 12 ( 2.0 p. )|